Potential New Housing in Hunston
Chichester District Council (CDC) is proposing 200 new houses should be built in Hunston as part of the local plan review. The Parish Council was told this at a meeting on 30 October 2018. Joan Foster (Chair) and Carol Smith (Parish Clerk) challenged this decision and asked for the rationale behind it. CDC was unable to tell us why at that time.
On Friday 2 November, CDC emailed the Parish Council to confirm that 200 houses would be allocated to Hunston because more land had been made available for housing.
At a meeting on 23 July 2018 between CDC, Hunston and North Mundham Parish Councils, we were told that 250 houses would be allocated between the two parishes. The split was left to us. Both Hunston and North Mundham decided to produce their own Neighbourhood Plan, so that they could consult with residents as to how many houses should be built and where. This work has started.
Now CDC Officer are recommending an allocation of 200 houses to Hunston and 50 to North Mundham.
This conflicts the Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA) published in August 2018, which allocates 176 houses to Hunston and 375 to North Mundham.
What we are going to do:
- The Parish Council does not consider that a reasonable rationale has been given that explains the split (200/50) between the two parishes in light of the HELAA allocation (176/375) published by CDC.
- CDC is going to discuss the planned allocation on Wednesday 14 November at 15.00 at the Committee Rooms, Chichester District Council. This is a public meeting and we will present a written statement and attend the meeting to object.
- We will hold a public meeting on 27 November at The Spotted Cow, Hunston from 18.30 – 20.00 to which all residents are invited. At the meeting we will outline our options and how we might take forward the Neighbourhood Plan.
What you can do:
- Come to the meeting on 27 November
- If you wish to object, you could email our District Councillor – Tricia Tull, email@example.com who was present at both meetings with CDC
- We will need help to prepare the Neighbourhood Plan, if you think you can help, please come on the 27th or let us know – firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair, Hunston Parish Council